Photo Credit: Stephanie Warner
1049 PACIFIC St, Vancouver BC
Built in 1904 by carpenter-builder Edward Hunt, this house was owned from 1914 to the mid 1950’s by the McGinn Family. F.J.E. McGinn was an accountant and later assistant manager at Kelly Douglas Grocers. Along with the other eight Edwardian houses in this row, this house was saved from demolition in 1983-1985 with the completion of rear yard infill, and is now part of the Pacific Heights Housing Co-operative developed by architect Roger Hughes. The houses were moved forward and regrouped as four pairs, and converted into duplexes. The original and listed HR address is 1049 and the current address is 1049 & 1051 (duplex). The houses have been painted with authentic colours under the Vancouver Heritage Foundation’s True Colours Program, and represent a traditional streetscape of heritage homes.
City of Vancouver Heritage Plaque, Vancouver City Directories, Exploring Vancouver The Architectural Guide by Harold Kalman & Robin Ward