Photo Credit: roaming-the-planet
1152 E Pender St, Vancouver BC
1152 Princess St, Vancouver BC
Built in 1903 as one of a pair of houses constructed by local resident Otto Yarchow as an investment property to capitalize on the economic boom prior to the First World War, this two-storey gabled vernacular house first appears in city directories in 1905 as 1152 Princess Street, with James Nicol, a boilermaker, listed as the first resident.
Herbert P. Falls, manager and president of Terminal Construction and Inventory Company Ltd. is listed at the house in 1908 and 1909. In 1920, an O. Nelson obtains a $250.00 permit for 1152 E Pender for general repairs, and in 1924, a $100 permit for a new garage.
In 1926 Carlos Corrado began living in the house with his family. Carlos worked as an oiler/labourer for BC Sugar. Charles passed away in 1949. His widow, Elsie remained at the house after his death. Other residents of the house included an assistant shopper for the Hudson Bay Company, a contractor, a laundryman, glaziers, and labourers.
The Nicol’s Residence illustrates the modest accommodation built in Vancouver’s East End for working and middle-class residents, particularly renters during a period of rapid growth and development. The house features a front gable with fish-scale and saw-tooth shingles, a full front porch and bay window, original window openings and windows, and a granite garden wall along the front.
The house was added to the Vancouver Heritage Register in 2019.
City of Vancouver Report 2018