Photo Credit: Rob Atkins
Photo Source: VHF
2034 Graveley St, Vancouver BC
Built in 1919-1920 by Peter Duffey, this Vernacular one-storey house first appears in city directories in 1922, with the first listed resident being Walter L. Martin, a salesman for H. Telford Brown. Martin remained at the house until 1923. For 25 years, from 1925 until 1950, Oliver H. Wellman, a marine engineer, and his wife Jessie owned the house. The house is named for the Wellman’s, as well as the later long-term residents, the Bochum family.
The house was added to the Vancouver Heritage Register in 2019 as a C-listing. The house is considered significant as it exemplifies post-war modest scale development of working-class housing in East Vancouver. Design details include leaded glass transoms, side-gabled entry porch overhang, flared square porch posts with stucco base, stairs set to the east side.
City of Vancouver Report 2018, British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955