Photo Credit: Christine Leviczky Riek
242 Terminal Ave, Vancouver BC
Built in 1923 by architects Gardiner & Mercer, the Massey Harris building is part of a group of heritage industrial buildings that emerged during False Creek’s early industrial boom. It was used as a warehouse and showroom for their farm implements and tractors.
In 2015, it was listed as an endangered heritage building facing the threat of redevelopment.
Gardiner and Mercer was the partnership of Francis C. Gardiner and Andrew Lamb Mercer (previously having worked with William F. Gardiner as Gardiner, Mercer& Gardiner). In 1917, they moved their office from New Westminster to downtown Vancouver where they remained for the next twenty-two years. They were responsible for the design of the Point Grey Firehall, Our Lady Roman Catholic Church, Lord Byng High School, and many more industrial, residential, and religious buildings.
Charlotte Steele,VanMapp, Heritage Vancouver, Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950