Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

4605 W 12th Ave

Photo Credit: Robert Henrickson

Address

4605 W 12th Ave, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

West Point Grey

Type

Residential

Significance

C

Description

4605 West 12th Avenue is a one and a half storey Craftsman Bungalow. It features a low-pitched front-gabled roof, a small attic window above the porch and originally had a clinker brick chimney.

The home was owned, built and designed in 1923 by William A. Campbell, a mechanic at Campbell Motors, for a cost of $3,500. William appears to have built and developed a few other homes in Vancouver around this time, including 5284 Sherbrooke Street and a bungalow on West 32nd Avenue. He lived at 4605 West 12th Avenue with his wife Grace until at least 1955. Over the years he continued to work in mechanics and also for several sawdust supply companies.

Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. 4605 West 12th Avenue is situated between two major arterial routes, 16th and 10th Avenue, which serve as key access points to the University of British Columbia and the University Endowment Lands.

Source

Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap