Photo Credit: Rob Atkins
71 E Pender St, Vancouver BC
Situated in historic district of Chinatown, the heritage value of this place is derived from the building’ associations with Wing Sang, a Vancouver-based Chinese trading company which made significant economic contribution to the city in the turn of the 19th century. In 1889, Yip Sang, the owner of Wing Sang built original building for his business and added the five-storey residential wing to accommodate his large extensive family (three wives, 19 sons, four daughters, and his many cousins).
Close proximity to Canadian Pacific Railway which was located across the street, helped Wing Sang to expand its market. The residential wing was acquired by a property marketer, Rob Rennie in 2004, then was reconditioned and restored the building for his offices. The building at the address 71 E Pender burnt down and a modern, boutique style concrete building was built in 2008, architecture by Walter Francl Architec Inc and developed by Jameson Development Corp. It had been a 1908 three storey building constructed by pioneer firm Gim Lee Yuen Co.
This site is part of the Chinatown Historic Area, HA-1 in the City of Vancouver’s zoning bylaw. It is included in the Vancouver Heritage Register as a recognized part of the historic neighbourhood. Other similar municipally protected sites within a Historic Area are marked on the map with an O instead of the usual Heritage Register categories of A, B, or C. Some of these sites may be newer construction but are nonetheless still protected. For more information on the bylaw that governs the Chinatown Historic Area see: https://bylaws.vancouver.ca/zoning/zoning-by-law-district-schedule-ha-1-1a.pdf
Building Vancouver wordpress, John Atkin, What Was There Before blog