Photo Credit: Jessica Quan
884 Granville St, Vancouver BC
The Orpheum Theatre is considered the ‘Grand Old Lady of Granville.’
It was one of seventeen grand movie places in Canada built by the Chicago-based Orpheum Circuit and the largest and most extravagant theatre on the Pacific Coast. Designed in 1926-1927, B. Marcus Priteca, with F.J. Peters associated Architect.
A narrow Granville Street frontage leads to the main hall, which was built on less expensive property facing Seymour Street. The main entry is faced with glazed terra cotta block cladding. It is in the Second Renaissance style.
The theatre was one of the first large-scale heritage conservation projects undertaken in Vancouver. Between 1974 and 1977, renovations were carried out by the firm Thompson, Berwick, Pratt and Partners of Vancouver.
Orpheum Theatre was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1979, because it is a good example of a Canadian movie palace, and one of the few to survive in relatively unchanged condition.
Today the theatre thrives as the city’s premier concert hall and as home to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
Canada's Historic Places, Vancouver Heritage Inventory Report Phase II 1986 Summary Report