Photo Credit: Bob Hare
369 Carrall St
1 W Hastings
This Beaux-Arts structure was the first Vancouver branch of the Montreal Merchant’s Bank. It was designed by architects Someroell and Putnam. It was constructed in 1912-1913.
The fireproof steel frame construction was designed to support seven stories that were never built. When the financial district moved westward on Hastings Street, Merchant’s Bank moved its headquarters there. The sandstone facade was carved on site.
The odd shape of the building was designed to accommodate the CPR tracks that cut through the regular street grid. When the tracks were removed in the 1930s, the area in front of the building was created as a park.
Canada's Historic Places, City of Vancouver Heritage Inventory Summary Report II 1986, Historic Map Guide Carrall St. Greenway (VHF)