Photo Credit: Rob Atkins
Photo Source: VHF
1020-1022 Odlum Dr, Vancouver BC
Likely built between 1905 and 1909, this two-storey gabled Vernacular house first appears in city directories in 1910, with the first listed resident being James B. Cawthorn, a labourer and contractor. Cawthorn lived at the house until 1913.
After Cawthorn, the house saw numerous residents, including employees of Restmore Manufacturing Company, labourers for Vancouver Gas Company, a millwright, carpenters, a packer for Sterling Candy, and a fireman.
The Cawthorn Residence exemplifies the development pattern of working class housing along the east edge of Grandview in the pre-war real estate boom, in response to evolving and expanding industrial uses clustering around the eastern end of False Creek. The house features a full width porch with shallow hip roof, square columns with capitals, and tongue and groove board ceiling, a closed roof overhang with wood board soffit and return at the gable ends, wooden shiplap siding and top fascia boards, and an offset front door.
1022 Odlum Drive was added to the Vancouver Heritage Register in 2019 as a C-listing.
City of Vancouver Report 2018, British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955