Photo Credit: Bob Hare
1036 Odlum Dr, Vancouver BC
This stately Edwardian home features a spacious porch and windows that preserve the historical leaded glass. This house, along with others on Odlum Drive, was owned and built by prominent early Grandview developer J. L. McKenzie in 1909. The building permit values the house at $1,000 at the time of its construction, a relatively modest sum given that other houses constructed around the same time along this street could be valued at twice or triple that sum.
The house’s first residents, Edward Lewis and Ethel Gray, with their son John William, lived at 1036 Odlum Dr. from 1910 to 1913. Edward is listed in the directory as a teamster and later a labourer for the City of Vancouver. Starting in the 1940s, the Lim family (How and Gin-Yem) lived in this home for at least a decade.
British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, Historical Database of Grandview Properties, City of Vancouver Archives