Photo Credit: Brigitte Mueller
1046 Odlum Dr, Vancouver BC
This Edwardian house, along with others on Odlum Drive, was owned and built by prominent early Grandview developer J. L. McKenzie in 1910. The house experienced relatively frequent turnover in residents during the early 20th century. For the period from 1911 to 1955, the historical city directories list 17 different occupants. However, during the 1920s, long-term owners William (a marine engineer) and Flora Dennis rented out six rooms in the house at a rate of $35 per month.
1046 Odlum Dr.’s longest early 20th century resident was James Mitchell, a pipefitter for the Canadian Pacific Railway, who resided at the house from 1930 to 1940. For decades, the exterior of the house has been relatively well preserved. The only major external change since 1985 is the expansion of the upper storey floor area, through a bump-out addition to the roofline that matches the original architectural style of the house.
British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, City of Vancouver Archives