Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

1260 E 12th Ave

Photo Credit: Rob Atkins

Address

1260 E 12TH Ave, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Grandview-Woodlands

Type

Mixed Use

Significance

C

Description

The timber frame, two-storey commercial building and dwelling space at 1260 E 12th Ave. was owned by James Burns and designed by architects Robertson & Thompson in 1911. An additional permit from 1924 indicates that repairs and alterations were made to the building by a different owner, the developer T. H. Calland.

1260 E 12th Ave’s commercial space, though vacant as of 2020, served for much of the early 20th century as a neighbourhood grocery store, operated first by Robert Cleveland (1912-1913), then Herbert Matthews (1915-1918), and Thomas Jarvis (as Jarvis Cash Grocery from 1922 to1926). Following Jarvis, the shop was briefly the Woodland Candy Company before becoming Allen’s Grocery from 1929 through at least the mid-1950s, operated by Thomas and Gertrude Allen. The building at 1260 E 12th Ave. still displays some of the features that are now gone from the neighboring buildings at 1280 and 1290 E 12th Ave, including wooden clapboard siding, decorative wooden window frames, and building cornice.

Source

British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, City of Vancouver Archives