Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

1410 Parker St

Photo Credit: Brigitte Mueller

Address

1410 Parker St, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Grandview-Woodlands

Type

Residential

Significance

C

Description

The slim Gabled Vernacular-style house at 1410 Parker St. was built in 1907 and is one of five wood frame buildings that were listed together on the same building permit, valued at $1,000 each, and constructed along Parker Street and Odlum Drive. The first two residents of the house, Carl Schmidt (a logger) and William Tollington (an accountant), illustrate the diversity of occupations held by those who lived in early Grandview.

The longest residents of the house in the early 20th century were Harry and Rosa Allan, who lived at 1410 Parker for 25 years (1922-1946). The 1921 census indicates that Rosa Ingram owned the house and lived there with her daughter Ivy, while Harry was a lodger. Harry and Rosa were later to marry, with Rosa taking Harry’s surname Allan. Harry worked for many years as a waiter for the Hotel Vancouver and the Canadian Pacific Railway. Following Harry’s death in 1945, his wife Rosa continued to live in the home until 1947 when Frank and Edith Wolfenber moved in, staying at 1410 Parker St. until at least the mid-1950s. Frank worked as a truck driver for the Canadian Pacific Express company.

 

Source

British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, City of Vancouver Archives