Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

160 W Cordova St

Photo Credit: Jarmila Storkova

Address

160 W Cordova St, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Downtown

Type

Commercial

Protection

D

Significance

O

Description

This building was constructed in 1953.  The building that existed at this address prior to the current one was constructed in 1888 and hosted multiple businesses over the years. In 1902, it was Rae’s Wholesale and Retail. In 1920, it was owned by Yorkshire & Canadian Trust Co. and by 1921 it was owned by Woods Shoe Store.

This site is listed on the Vancouver Heritage Register due to municipal heritage protections related to the Gastown Historic Area. The Gastown Historic Area is presently referred to as HA-2 in the City’s zoning bylaws.  Buildings in this area are subject to additional regulations even if they are not on the Vancouver Heritage Register. Some sites in the area are listed on the Register as protected but have no A, B or C classification. This is usually because the Province originally protected these sites as part of the creation of the Historic Area and this category of protection remains even as the City’s system of heritage classification has evolved. These designated sites in Gastown are represented on the Heritage Site Finder with an “O.”

Source

VanMap