Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

1627 Laurier Ave

Photo Credit: Olivia Golden

Address

1627 Laurier Ave, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Shaughnessy

Type

Residential

Protection

D

Significance

B

Description

This home in First Shaughnessy was built in 1912 for Charles Parsons and his wife Clementina. Improvements on the property were conducted in 1932.

Other occupants of the house in the mid-20th century included Dr. Charles Frederick Covernton, who resided here in the 1930s. Covernton, originally from Montreal, moved to Vancouver in 1909 and worked at Vancouver General Hospital, where he later became the head of pediatrics. C.D. Hobbs, the president and managing director of Western Canada Steel, resided here in the 1940s.

Laurier Avenue was named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier (1841-1919), who served as prime minister of Canada from 1886-1911.

Source

VanMap, British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, BC Assessment