Photo Credit: Olivia Golden
1646 Laurier Ave, Vancouver BC
The three-storey Georgian Revival house at 1646 Laurier Avenue was built in 1913 for Walter Walsh (1875-1947). Walsh, a lawyer, was called to the British Columbia bar in 1899. Walsh became a junior partner with McPhillips & Williams, which was one of a succession of Vancouver law firms that led to the firm of Bull, Housser and Tupper (now Norton Rose Fulbright).
1646 Laurier Avenue was designed by Twizell & Twizell, a firm established in Vancouver in 1912. Twizell & Twizell is known for designing many schools and churches in Vancouver, as well as some large residences in Shaughnessy in neo-Georgian and arts and crafts styles. A few of their projects also on the Vancouver Heritage Register include Oblate House, Lord Kitchener Elementary, Kerrisdale School, David Lloyd George School and St Andrew’s-Wesley United Church.
Further renovations and additions to the home occurred in 1920 under subsequent owner Bruce Mackenzie Farris (1886-1968), a lumber mill owner. In 1934, Farris became vice-president of the logging company Bloedel, Stewart and Welch, until the firm merged with the H.R. MacMillan Company in 1951 to form MacMillan Bloedel Limited.
Laurier Avenue was named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier (1841-1919), who served as prime minister of Canada from 1886-1911.
Dictionary of Architects in Canada