Photo Credit: Kelly Borget
1789 Matthews Ave, Vancouver BC
Built in 1918, for $14,000, this home was designed by the leading Vancouver architecture firm Maclure & Fox. A prolific architect of the time, Samuel Maclure designed hundreds of houses and buildings in the area, including Hatley Castle in Victoria (now part of Royal Roads University) and Brock House in Vancouver.
This house was originally built as the residence for the Honourable Mr. Justice Aulay MacAulay Morrison. Born in 1863, Morrison served as a Member of Parliament for the Liberal Party of Canada for 8 years, from 1896 to 1904. Morrison was a judge of the Superior Court of British Columbia, eventually serving as Chief Justice of British Columbia.
Ernest Theodore Rogers, one of seven children of BC Sugar Refinery founder Benjamin Tingley Rogers, later resided in this house from the 1920s to the 1940s. Improvements were conducted on the house in 1986.
Matthews Avenue was named after Wilmot Delouir Matthews (1850-1919), a director of the CPR.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, evelazarus.com, Dictionary of Architects in Canada, Parlinfo