Photo Credit: Olivia Golden
Photo Source: Olivia Golden
1929 Whyte Ave, Vancouver BC
1927 Whyte Ave, Vancouver BC
1929 and 1935 Whyte Ave. were originally owned and built by W. Tavender according to a permit issued in 1912. Building permits for nearby properties of 1921 and 1925 Whyte Ave. appear to have been taken out at the same time and the houses constructed at 1921, 1929 and 1935 Whyte Ave. appear to be of the same design. The style of the house is a two-storey, front-gabled Craftsman style with a side dormer and a large extension over half the front veranda, with stone base or foundation.
The first occupant of 1929 Whyte Ave. was Charles G. Bernard, a real estate agent, who lived there from 1914 to 1916, after which there was a steady succession of occupants. In 2007, the house was significantly renovated, including the addition of a legal suite, and was awarded a Heritage Renovation Award by the City of Vancouver in 2009.
There are no other publicly available building permits issued to Tavender or anyone by that name in the historical city directories of that era. This, along with the similarity between this address and the nearby properties attributed to W. Harrington is a subject of further investigation. Anyone with information on the history of this property and its neighbors is invited to get in touch.
British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955