Photo Credit: Christine Allen
1943 E 1st Ave, Vancouver, BC
Victoria Court was designed as a new branch bank vault building for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. The imposing new branch wsa designed by Scottish-born architect, V D Horsburgh (based in Toronto) at a cost of $100,000. Local architect W F Gardiner supervised the construction by Baynes and Horie (1915).
While the building didn’t extend all the way to the lane, and at the back was built of brick (seen here), the front had four huge (hollow) columns, one of the architect’s favourite architectural elements.
The building is known today as ‘The Vault’. It was converted to apartments in 1984, and is listed on the Vancouver Heritage Register as a B-listing.
Vancouver Building Permits, Changing Vancouver