Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

Bell Residence

Photo Credit: Jessica Quan

Address

2006 Whyte Ave, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Kitsilano

Type

Residential

Significance

B

Description

Designed by the contracting firm of Bell & Reid, Principals in Lennox, Read and Co., this handsome Arts and Crafts bungalow was built by Prudential Builders Ltd. on land owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway Land Department in 1911.

The first resident, Charles Noble Bell, (the Bell in Bell & Reid) lived here until 1913 when lawyer William Stuart Lane moved in. From 1930 to 1938, watchmaker David Miller Walls and his wife Martha were the residents. David worked as a watchmaker for Todd and Manning until 1930. From 1939 to 1947, Robert and Margaret Manicol resided in the house. Robert was a Royal Canadian Legion Secretary from 1927 to 1947. From 1948 to 1968 the house was home to Cyril William Lambert Stephenson. Cyril worked as an office clerk until 1948. From 1969 to 1997 the house was home to UBC forensic psychiatry professor Dr. John C. Yuille and his wife Ingrid.

Whyte avenue was named after William Mehven Whyte (1843-1914), superintendent of CPR’s western division in 1886 and a vice-president by 1910.

2006 Whyte Avenue was a stop on VHF’s 2008 Heritage House Tour.

Source

James Johnstone, VHF Files, VHF 2008 Heritage House Tours Brochure, Elizabeth Walker: Street Names of Vancouver