Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

2590 Trimble St

Photo Credit: Steve Hodder

Address

2590 TRIMBLE St, Vancouver BC

Alternate Address

4397 W 10th

Neighbourhood

West Point Grey

Type

Mixed Use

Significance

C

Description

2590 Trimble Street is a mixed-use apartment building built in 1912 that has housed Enigma Urban Eatery & Bar since 2003. The two-storey building has retained its original cornice, stained glass window on Trimble Street, and features two bay windows facing West 10th Avenue. The property also includes an adjacent detached apartment building facing Trimble Street.

This is the last remaining early 20th century building on this block as the majority of older commercial buildings (including the Varsity Theatre) have been replaced with modern four to five storey combined commercial and residential buildings.

The first floor of 2590 Trimble has been primarily used for commercial purposes since 1912. It was designed by D.W. Goodfellow and built by MacNull & Campbell for John Lyall McGlashan, initially housing McGlashan’s grocery. D. W. Goodfellow appears to have primarily designed houses on the west side of Vancouver, including an apartment building with commercial space at 3217 Heather Street (also built in 1912 and still standing).

David McGlashan, a likely relative of John, worked at McGlashan’s grocery and lived nearby at 4254 West 11th Avenue, an original 1912 house which is still standing. The 1920 directory shows both David and John McGlashan living at 2575 Trimble Street.

After the McGlashan’s left this location, it remained a grocery under several different names (Merrill, Robinson, Woolner) until in 1930 when it became Braden’s Dairy, then Star Dairy Restaurant in 1938 and Varsity Dairy Lunch in 1940. From 1953 until at least 1955 it housed New York Costume Salon.

This building has potential linkages to two of Vancouver’s most prominent restaurant chains. In the 1980s, it was home to Earl’s Place, a restaurant possibly associated with Earls Restaurants. Richard Jaffray, owner of Cactus Club Café recalls working at an Earls at this location prior to buying the restaurant, however it’s unclear whether Earl’s Place and Earls are connected. In the 1990s, after Jaffray acquired the space, it became a Cactus Club Cafe. This location also previously housed Caffe Barney. In 2018, Enigma Urban Eatery & Bar recently renovated the interior and exterior of the building.

Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. In 1912 the area gained a streetcar route running along 10th Avenue from Alma to Sasamat Street, down Sasamat to West 4th. With the addition of the streetcar, West 10th became a commuter route with a local shopping district well established by the 1920s. While the streetcar is no longer in service, West 10th still acts as a major arterial route, transporting students to and from UBC by bus.

Source

Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap, Vancouver Archives