Photo Credit: VHF
2594 Eton St, Vancouver BC
VHF True Colours 2015
The Woodside Home was built in 1908 in the early vernacular style. Notable features include the front gable roof, porch, double hung windows, and columns.
The home got its name from its long time owner Mr. Frank E. Woodside who lived there from 1914 to 1939. Known for his work as one of the founders of the BC Chamber of Mines, Woodside was also a Vancouver City Councillor for several years. Frank Woodside was the first councillor to represent the newly amalgamated area (in an era when Council was based on Wards), from 1911-1928.
The area of Hastings Townsite was its own entity until it amalgamated with the City of Vancouver in 1911.
Woodside lobbied for improved services in the Townsite such as sewer, water, sidewalks and transit and made a case for this through his efforts to amalgamate.
Online Permit databases, BC and Yukon Directory (1935, 1940, 1945), Henderson’s Greater Vancouver City Directory (1914, 1915, 1920, 1926), City Hall files