Photo Credit: Cassandra Sclauzero
312 MAIN St, Vancouver BC
The modernist Public Safety Building of 1953, and extension from 1954, was designed by Townley Matheson and Partners and Dawson and Hall. It housed the entire Vancouver Police Department until 1961.
The first police station was at 200 E Cordova St, and in 1961 onward, the department expanded to Oakridge, and the Annex at 236 E Cordova St. A new building for VPD’s headquarters was built at 2120 Cambie Street in 1994. 312 Main Street closed in 2011. Since then, 312 Main Street has been renovated as a social innovation centre or inclusive coworking hub with support from the City of Vancouver, Vancity and the neighbourhood.
Canada's Historic Places, VPD website, May 2016 article by Don Alexander for the Tyee