Photo Credit: Rob Atkins
329-341 GORE Ave, Vancouver BC
The Orange Hall was designed by William Tuff Whiteway, noted for several other buildings in Gastown, including the Sun Tower. The building constructed in a Richardsonian Romanesque style.
Though the hall acquired its building permits in 1903, it was not completed until in 1907. The building was the first hall of the Orange Order, whose purpose was to unite Protestants of various denominations into one homogenous grouping to maintain their religion and way of life. The Orange Order abandoned the hall in 1943 due to declining membership.
The building’s main floor housed Morgan Brothers furniture and a printing firm. The upper levels were used by labour and cultural organizations, by a Jewish congregation as a temporary synagogue, and for band practice.
Later uses for the building have been as a postal station and housing for those at risk for homelessness and those with disabilities.
Changing Vancouver blog, Historic Places Canada