Photo Credit: Rob Howatson
3355 Cobblestone Ave, Vancouver BC
The original home at 3358 SE Marine Drive was a craftsman style residence built in 1925. There was a serious fire on February 3, 1930. The architectural features of the building remain with its steeply pitched roof, deep overhang, original entry and porte cochere, stone and clapboard siding.
In 1958 Northwest Baptist Bible College was relocated to 3358 SE Marine Drive. Beginning in Calgary in 1934 it moved to Port Coquitlam in 1945. In 1959 the College received its charter from the government of BC, allowing it to grant all theological degrees. In 1989, Northwest relocated to the campus of Trinity Western University in Langley, BC, selling its property to Trinity and leasing facilities. Northwest remains an independent self-governing seminary but works collaboratively with the Associated Canadian Theological Schools (ACTS Seminaries) at TWU.
Better known as the Baptist College property’s administrative space the 7,700 square foot building was developed by Abbey Woods Developments Ltd into the current 105-unit townhouse and apartment project. According to Vancouver Street Names by Elizabeth Walker, the name Cobblestone Avenue came about in 1993.
COV Heritage Files, Northwest Baptist Seminary website