Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

A.E. Tulk House Rosemary

Photo Credit: Kelly Borget

Address

3689 Selkirk St, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

Shaughnessy

Type

Residential

Protection

D

Significance

A

Recognition

M

Description

This Tudor Revival House and carriage house was built between 1912 and 1913. It was designed by the renowned architecture firm Maclure and Fox.

The first owner was lawyer and liquor magnate A.E. Tulk. He named the house after his only daughter, Rosemary. Subsequent occupants were: Lieutenant Governor John William Fordham Johnson (1922-1931), Industrialist/horseman Austin Taylor (1931-1947) and the Order of the Convent of our Lady of the Cenacle (1947-1994). In 2014, the house was sold to Mingfei Zhao and is being restored by architect Ken Wong and FairTradeWorks Construction.

The ochre and brown half-timbering is combined with beige shingles, brown clapboard and red brick to give the impression of a rambling English manor. The interior of the house has been little altered. Features include: 12 fireplaces, oak paneling, parquet oak floors, leaded glass bay windows. There is a two-storey-high grand foyer with a “minstrel gallery” and two libraries.

Source

Exploring Vancouver: The Architectural Guide, Harold Kalman and Robin Ward, Vancouver Sun Article by John Mackie