Photo Credit: Kelly Borget
4235 W 13th Ave, Vancouver BC
4237 W 13th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
This one-and-a-half storey 1925 Craftsman bungalow with a half front porch and low-pitched roof was developed by Dargavel & Kilgour who developed several homes on West 13th in 1925, including neighbouring 4241 West 13th.
Residents in the early to mid-1900’s include: Philip Morgan, a department manager at Spencer’s, John and Blanche Buchanan, and Francis Hadley, a salesman at Nesbitt Thomson.
Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. Located at West 13th Avenue and Courtenay Street this house is just a couple blocks away from Lord Byng Secondary School which has serviced the area since 1925, the same year this house was built.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap