Photo Credit: Robert Henrickson
4241 W 13th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
Built in 1925, this Craftsman home was originally owned and built by Dargavel & Kilgour who also developed the house next door at 4235 West 13th in the same year. Standing significantly taller than its neighbour, this home features double-hung windows and a half front porch supported by large square tapered piers. William Herbert Dargavel and John Byron Kilgour built several homes in Kitsilano, including at least five Craftsman Bungalows on West 8th.
Similar to 4235 West 13th, this home saw a fair amount of turnover for the first half of the 20th century. Early residents included Edgar F. Barnes, a clerk; Harry B. Lewis a steward for the CPR and his wife J. L. Lewis; and Mrs. Cecelia Bevilockway, a widow.
Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. Located at West 13th Avenue and Courtenay Street this house is just a couple blocks away from Lord Byng Secondary School which has serviced the area since 1925, the same year this house was built.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap