Photo Credit: Brigitte Mueller
4261 W 12th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
4261 West 12th (originally 4263) is a 1913 one and a half storey Craftsman home. It features a prominent central dormer, cedar shingles, tapered piers and an integral enclosed front porch. This home appears on the 1912 Goads Fire Insurance map along with the now demolished home at 4255 West 12th. While the nearby home, 4243 West 12th was also built around the same time, it does not appear on the 1912 fire insurance map.
Originally built and owned by David Stewart who hired Thomas Clegg as the architect, this became the home of the Moodie family. Over the years, family members residing here included Stanley F. Moodie (teacher at King George High School), Eleanor Moodie (nurse), James Moodie, Jason Moodie (retired) and Ken Moodie (engineer).
Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. This home is situated between two major arterial routes, 16th and 10th Avenue, serving as key access points to UBC and the University Endowment Lands. Just a couple blocks to the south is Pacific Spirit Regional Park, with over 750 hectares of natural forest trails and the approximately 2,000-year-old Camosun Bog.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap