Photo Credit: Robert Henrickson
4444 W 12th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
4444 West 12th Avenue is a side-gabled Craftsman house built in 1913, with a front porch supported by three double square porch posts and a covered balcony on the second storey. This house features elaborate wooden gable décor and stained glass on the windows facing the front integral porch.
This house was originally owned, built and designed by Morris F. Armstrong, who worked at the Kitsilano General Repair Shop. Other residents included Horace W. Bucke, a Barrister & Solicitor and his wife Beatrice Bucke, a manager for BC Public Stenographers who both lived in this house from 1917 to 1930. Afterwards, residents included writer Eugene S. Woodward, among several other families.
Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap