Photo Credit: Robert Henrickson
4446 W 5th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
VHF True Colours 2014
This West 5th Avenue house is a fine example of a Craftsman Style home built shortly before the outbreak of WWI. C.W. Misener designed, built and owned this house in 1913. One of the first houses built on the block, the value of this house in 1913 is listed in the building register at $3,500.
From 1918-1940s, it was the home of J.W. Barron, a manufacturer’s agent.
In the 1950s, George and Dorothy Jackson, owners of Jacksons Meat Market, a Fourth Avenue institution, lived in the house. Mrs. Jackson recalls a 1950s renovation that removed the dark wood paneling, plate rail and light fixtures in the dining room and the black iron face-plate over the fireplace.
In 2002, the owners won a City of Vancouver Heritage Award for the front façade restoration and conservation of the streetscape.
The house was a stop on VHF’s 2006 Heritage House Tour. In 2014, the house was repainted to historical colours with the assistance of a VHF True Colours grant.
VHF Heritage House Tour Brochure 2006, VHF Files