Photo Credit: Brigitte Mueller
4483 W 11th Ave, Vancouver BC
West Point Grey
4483 West 11th Avenue is a classic Edwardian-style two and a half-storey home. This home features a steep-pitched front-gabled roof with a porch on the main level and two symmetrical windows on the second floor.
While the property was likely built in 1916, this address first shows up in permits as being built in 1923 for J. Deslaurier and appears in the 1924 directory under Isadore Deslaurier, a farm foreman with UBC. Isadore continued to live at the residence until 1946. More research is needed to determine the reason for the inconsistency between different records.
Permits indicate Calixte O. Deslaurier (a possible relative of Isadore), manager at Point Grey Coal & Wood Yard (4621 West 11th), owning several other lots on West 11th between Tolmie and Blanca – where he built a stable/warehouse in 1913 and conducted repairs in 1914. C. O. Deslaurier also co-owned the wood-frame apartment at 4406 West 10th Avenue with Henry P. Leck.
Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. This house is just south of West 10th Avenue which has served as the area’s primary local business district since the early 20th century.
Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap