Photo Credit: Steve Hodder
4516 W 8th Ave, Vancouver BC
Built in 1914 by J.E. Atkins, 4516 W 8th is a good example of the Craftsman style common to the local area.
The design details applied to the larger and more elaborate Craftsman houses on the West Side are well documented here:
Full width front porch, three flared posts with granite column bases; wide front stairs leading to plain single door flanked by narrow light windows; sleeping porch on upper floor features arched opening, single flared posts on either side; decorative knee brackets in gables; stained glass transoms and piano windows, two large fixed stained glass windows on west side; cladding is lap siding on base, with shingles on the upper body.
This is one of the earlier buildings constructed in what was at that time the outlying area of West Point Grey that opened between 1910 and 1925. The first (listed) residents were Charles F. and Percy A. Edington, both of whom work for B.C. Electric Railway.
Vancouver Heritage Committee- July 19 2004- Vancouver Heritage Register, British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955