Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

4574 W 8th Ave

Photo Credit: Robert Henrickson

Address

4574 W 8th Ave, Vancouver BC

Neighbourhood

West Point Grey

Type

Residential

Significance

B

Description

4574 West 8th greets you with its striking double front-gabled roof, Craftsman design and full-width front porch. The second storey features two doors opening out onto a deck. 4574 was likely built in 1915 along with several other early 1900’s homes still standing on this side of 4500 block West 8th (4516 and 4506).

This house saw a significant number of residents (at least 13 different names) between 1917 and 1955. These included Reverend Edward S. Logie from 1917 to 1918, who was a Presbyterian minister in Point Grey (1916-17), then sold insurance in BC’s interior (1921-23) before becoming a pastor in the United Church. Logie may have been associated with the West Point Grey Presbyterian Church (located at West 4th and Sasamat, now demolished) which later amalgamated with Tolmie Methodist Church to create West Point Grey United Church in 1925 (now located on West 8th and Tolmie Street).

Another notable resident was Sidney Darnbrough who lived here between 1921 and 1926. At the time, Sidney was an electrical contractor but later became President and then Managing Director of Canadian Electrical Manufacturing Co (Cemco).

Situated in West Point Grey, this area has seen significant change over the years. Initially it was home to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh peoples. In 1791 Spanish explorer Jose Narvaez landed on the shores of this area, naming it Langara Point. Approximately one year later, Captain George Vancouver arrived and renamed the area after his friend Captain George Grey. Significant residential development in the area didn’t start until 1912, shortly after the Municipality of Point Grey was established in 1908. This house is just north of West 10th Avenue which has served as the area’s primary local business district since the early 20th century.

Source

Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VPL British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap, Vancouver Archives,