Photo Credit: Steve Hodder
4686 W 2nd Ave, Vancouver, BC
4686 West 2nd Ave was designed by architects Perry and Fowler, and built by Kaul and York for lawyer James Francis Joseph Cashman in 1912. Born in Ontario, Cashman practiced law in the province before moving to Vancouver. Perry and Fowler’s partnership was short-lived, but both made significant contributions to Vancouver’s built environment. Fowler designed 1443-1445 W 8th Ave, another registered heritage building, while Richard Perry was responsible for many apartment blocks, including Tudor revival style Tatlow Court, and institutional buildings like 15th Field Artillery, Bessborough Armoury.
This is an Arts and Crafts style house evident through the use of indigenous materials, prominent stone chimney and close relationship to the garden. The large stones used for the foundation, chimney and verandah were barged in from the Capilano River, while the cedar logs came from the Sunshine Coast. These logs form the walls of the house, which blends in with the surrounding mature trees and greenery.
Vancouver Building Permits, British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950,