Photo Credit: Jennifer Chow
566 E 46th Ave, Vancouver BC
In 1912, the original owner of this residence, Nanda Singh, received a permit to build two one-and-a-half-storey bungalows on two lots: at the current-day addresses of 566 and 576 E 46th Ave. Singh lived at 159 W 5th Ave., and hired Alex Rifs to design and construct the homes. The designs of the two homes have many details common to Gabled Vernacular homes such as gabled roofs and upper-storey windows. 566 E 46th Ave. includes a porch with simple columns and pared back ornamentation which is a nod to the Colonial Revival style, which was also popular during the same period.
566 E 46th Ave. previously had the address of 365 E 48th Ave. and was located between Draper Street and Fraser Street. In 1910, South Vancouver street names underwent several changes and Draper Street became a part of St. George Street. Residents of 566 E 46th Ave. included Robert Campbell, a painter at Dixon & Murray, as well as Robert and Ella Harris.
Although now part of the city of Vancouver, the neighbourhood of Sunset was formerly located in the then separate municipality of South Vancouver. It remained a small district for many years and it was not until 1911 that the population began to see a significant increase in numbers. Land that had once been cheap was then being subdivided for profit margins far above the cost only 10 years prior. Growth of the area levelled out after the initial boom leading into the 1920s but soon thereafter, the agricultural land became the site of homes for World War II veterans in the 1940s. In the 1950s, the Sunset area welcomed the additions of Wilson Park and John Oliver Secondary School. In the 21st century, Sunset is a diverse, working-class area, home to many independently-owned shops.
British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap, Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database