Photo Credit: Gina Gverster
656 E Georgia St, Vancouver BC
True Colours Grant 2020
Three houses at 656, 664 and 666 E Georgia appear to have been constructed between 1892-1893 by owner James Boreland listed in early directories as both a longshoreman and plasterer. Constructed during the height of Vancouver’s Victorian economic boom, they were built at a time when rental housing was in short supply.
These homes incorporate typical vernacular design features such as decorative “fish-scale” shingles, bay windows, chamferred porch columns and scroll-cut brackets derived from the Victorian Queen Anne and Italinate styles.
The heritage value of 656 East Georgia Street was compromised by its renovation in the 1930s and the removal of original design elements and the application of stucco.These buildings contribute to the eclectic residential character of East Georgia Street and the Strathcona neighbourhood.
The house was painted in an authentic True Colours paint scheme with the assistance of a VHF Heritage Conservation Grant in 2020
City of Vancouver