Photo Credit: VHF
664 E Georgia St, Vancouver BC
VHF True Colours 2001, 2020
Three houses at 656, 664 and 666 E Georgia appear to have been constructed between 1892-1893 by owner James Boreland, listed in early directories as both a longshoreman and plasterer. Constructed during the height of Vancouver’s Victorian economic boom, they were built at a time when rental housing was in short supply.
These homes incorporate typical vernacular design features such as decorative “fish-scale” shingles, bay windows, chamferred porch columns and scroll-cut brackets derived from the Victorian Queen Anne and Italinate styles.
664 East Georgia Street, was not significantly altered and remains a good example of its type and is a Vancouver Heritage Register “B” category building.
These buildings contribute to the eclectic residential character of East Georgia Street and the Strathcona neighbourhood.
In 2001, 664 E Georgia Street was repainted in historical colours with the assistance of a VHF True Colours grant. In 2020 this paint scheme was refreshed with the assistance of a VHF Heritage Conservation Grant.
City of Vancouver, VHF Files