Photo Credit: Anjela Godber
8468 Shaughnessy St, Vancouver BC
This front-gabled Craftsman house was built in 1911. When the house was built, the street it looks out on was unnamed and remained that way until 1914, when it was given the name Shaughnessy Street by Point Grey bylaw 17. The street was named after Thomas George Shaughnessy, a Canadian Pacific Railway president from 1898 to 1918.
Despite the naming of the street in 1914 the house is not listed in city directories until 1917 when it appears listed under homeowner George Pottinger, a longshoreman. Records indicate that his mother Cecilia, may have briefly moved in with him after becoming a widow in 1920. In 1933, George was joined by his wife, Barbara G. and in 1955, his son, Cecil G. Pottinger is also listed as a resident. The house has continued to be owned by the Pottinger family.
The house is an example of a front-gabled, one-and-a-half-storey Craftsman House with its sleeping porch, narrow lap siding, columns, front-gabled roof, double-hung windows, leaded glass, large front porch, shingles, and squared porch posts. This part of Marpole is one of the areas that prospered when the Oak Street Bridge was built in 1957 due to traffic moving from what was then a business district at Hudson Street and Marine Drive.
British Columbia City Directories 1860-1955, VanMap, Heritage Vancouver Building Permits Database, VHF’s House Style Webtool, Elizabeth Walker: Street Names of Vancouver