Heritage Site Finder

Menu

Heritage Site Finder

An interactive map of buildings and sites on the Vancouver Heritage Register.

Fish House Restaurant

Photo Credit: Madeleine de Trenqualye

Address

8901 Stanley Park Dr, Vancouver, BC

Neighbourhood

Stanley Park

Type

Commercial

Significance

B

Description

Constructed in 1929-30, and opened to the public in 1930, the Sports Pavilion originally served as a club house and washrooms for the users of the nearby sports facilities including the pitch-and-putt golf course, tennis courts and lawn bowling pitch. As an anchor in the centre of the park’s sporting facilities near English Bay, it reinforces the signature rustic style of the park buildings. Designated as a Level 1 building in the Stanley Park, National Historic Site of Canada, Commemorative Integrity Statement, it is valued for the continued tradition of rusticated stonework at the basement storey, and features such as its cedar-shingled roof and multiple-paned windows.

The nearby lawn bowling facility dates to 1919, when it replaced an elk paddock that had been one of the park’s attractions. The 18-hole pitch-and-putt golf course was created two years after the pavilion and today borders the rhododendron collection nearby.

The pavilion was first repurposed as a restaurant in 1949 and was known as the Third Beach Tea Room until 1974. Between 1974-1990 it was known as the Beach House, and had then became the home of Fish House Restaurant from 1991 until it closed its doors in September 2015. In 2019 the historic building became the Stanley Park Brewing Company brewpub and restaurant.

Source

stanleyparkvan.com, Vancouver Sun, The Georgia Straight, Stanley Park, National Historic Site of Canada, Commemorative Integrity Statement, Vancouver City Council Reports.