Photo Credit: Jarmila Storkova
Stanley Park, seawall West of Brockton Point
The Empress was built in Barrow, England, and arrived in Vancouver on June 22, 1891. By the time the CPR retired her in 1922, she had crossed the Pacific 315 times—setting trans-Pacific speed records that were unchallenged during 22 years of her active career—and steamed more than four million kilometres (2.5 million miles.) Presented to the Parks Board in 1927, this carved figurehead of the former ocean liner was restored in 1928.
www.vancouverhistory.ca (The History of Metropolitan Vancouver)