Photo Credit: Rob Atkins
Photo Source: VHF
4062 Commercial St, Vancouver BC
Built by Hugh Auld in 1910, the Florence Anderson house was purchased by Alexander Anderson, who came to Canada from Scotland in 1907, and his wife Marion Lamont, in 1919. Mr. Alexander, a stone mason, added a basement to the house from boulders he found in nearby Brewer’s Park. The Anderson’s had three children. Their daughter- Florence Anderson- lived in the house for ninety-three years (1919 to 2014).
While surrounded by new houses, the Florence Anderson House site has changed little over the past century. The original coal burning flue still exists in the heritage building. The heritage building and its site are an excellent example of intact modest housing built in the area during the Edwardian boom.