Photo Credit: Chimp Photo Club
800 W Georgia St, Hornby Street side entrance of Vancouver Art Gallery
The King Edward VII Fountain was once located in a prominent spot at the front of what was then the Vancouver Court House, at 750 Hornby. Designed by Charles Marega and installed in 1912 to commemorate the King’s passing, it originally featured bronze drinking cups but they were frequently stolen and eventually never replaced. It was placed in storage in 1966 and remained there until the courthouse was converted to the Vancouver Art Gallery in 1983. The fountain was then brought out of storage and installed by the west side of the building along Hornby Street.
Marega was born and raised in Italy. He designed several other sculptures in Vancouver, including the concrete lions at the south entrance to the Lions Gate Bridge, which still greet thousands of vehicles every day, and a statue of George Vancouver at Vancouver City Hall. Marega was also hired by Alvo von Alvensleben to design an ornate ceiling in his home, which is now the Old Residence at Crofton House School.
The work of Charles Marega (1871-1939), Eve Lazarus, http://evelazarus.com/the-work-of-charles-marega-1871-1939/
King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, 1912, Vancouver is Awesome, https//www.vancouverisawesome.com/history/king-edward-vii-memorial-fountain-1912-1933813
City of Vancouver